Wednesday, August 3, 2011

One of Those Days

It has been go-go-go ever since I returned home from Utah.  I'm still waiting for the dust to settle so I can sit back, reflect, and realize what an amazing experience I had.  Though when it hits, it will probably hit more like a blow than like a caress.  While it was an amazing gain, it was also a loss - leaving amazing places, and amazing people who you may never see again.  Luckily, the gain is significantly more than the loss because I can always tell myself "You will go back," and "You will see x,y, and z again."

Back home, I have gotten together with several friends over amazing meals and long chats. Though yesterday was a little rough. 

I interviewed an artist in Matthews about her business and then went over to Matthews Elementary where my friend Lisa is about to start teaching 3rd grade.  I helped her and our other friend Christina set up her classroom before returning home and writing the story about the artist.  I was so excited for silk aerial class which was from 5-6:30 uptown in NoDa.  Unfortunately, I forgot to eat before class which meant that as the moves got more strenuous, I got more hungry and weak.

So, after doing a series of sweat-pouring, muscle-shaking moves, the teacher shows us a new one.  Meanwhile, there are four silks and four different levels in action all over the room - with one teacher.  There were 3 of us sharing our silk.  After she showed us The Scorpion (the name of the move) one girl tried and the teacher came back and helped her out - but the girl had gotten so tangled it was hard see how it looked anything like the move the teacher had shown us.  Then I tried and was closer, but still needed some help.  The third girl didn't even attempt it.  When I tried for my second time, the teacher was nowhere in sight and I was hanging upside-down getting a head-rush so I figured "I'll just do what I think I'm supposed to do."  Well, I figured wrong. 

Next thing I know, I'm flipping out of the silk and landing straight on my head on the mat (which was thin because we weren't doing stuff really high like the advanced girls).  I got a mat burn on the top left part of my forehead and cracked my entire neck and upper-back.  When I landed, I'm pretty sure I issued an "ow" or "whoa" or something pretty loudly.  And then there was the thunk of my body hitting the ground.  Either way, the entire room of about 15 people went dead silent.  The teacher came over and was all anxious and telling me not to move, but I told her I was fine - which I was.  Just a little shaken up, sore and red. 

After that, she made us switch moves.  But I plan to master that stupid scorpion on Saturday!  And ps - she wrote me an email today to ask how I was doing. lol  (I'm fine.  Just sore - but I think that's more from doing silk again after being out of it for 3 weeks).

Well then, I'm sitting in the parking lot trying to makeup over my mat burn before I have dinner with my friend Cleve, when all of a sudden, I fly toward my steering wheel.  I have no idea what just happened because my mirrors are facing toward me.  So I get out of my car, and sure enough, some girl in a Volvo just hit me as she tried to pull into the space next to me.  She is completely flustered and doesn't know what to do so I tell her to go ahead and park and we'll talk.  She does so, and she's shaking like a leaf and saying "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, I just got my license."  No freaking kidding. 

Anyway, my car looked okay - she scraped along the back left corner and side of my car, but luckily on the CRV, it has a black bumper-like material that runs all along the bottom and it was just a bit scuffed.  I got her information and told her I'd call her if my dad thought it needed any work.  I tried to calm her down because she was so scared.  She goes to Chapel Hill, so I probably had a bit of a soft spot for her. 

By the time I met Cleve for dinner, I was practically passing out from hunger and exhaustion.  I devoured a pineapple milkshake and 2/3 of a burger before my stomach started yelling at me for overeating. 

I was super tired by the time I got home, but Mom really wanted to watch Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I, so I didn't get to bed until 12:40. 

Tonight I'm so excited because I have my Bible study meeting with all the girls and I've missed them so much!  I'll also go see my grandparents who I've missed terribly. 

I find that it's difficult for me to have so many friends and loved ones because I can't half-ass any relationship.  If you're my friend/family, I WILL spend time with you either on the phone or in person.  I WILL be there for you if you need me.  I'm fiercely loyal - which is a difficult personality trait to have when you keep making more friends! lol  But, I love it.  I feel so blessed to have so much love in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment