Monday, April 30, 2012

London Calling

Well, I leave in t-minus 4 hours on a flight to London.  To say I'm excited it definitely an understatement.  I cried last time I left London just over three years ago - now, I can see myself crying upon my return.  I can't really explain what it is about London (and England in general) that has such a hold on my heart.  It's practically unexplainable.  It's something about my heritage coming from there - the type of people that would strike out for an unknown world in pursuit of freedom and adventure.  It's also something about a whole group of people who lived through two world wars, with fighting on their home front, and still persevered.  And then there's the fact that England is the setting for so much great literature and film (Pride & Prejudice, Jane Eyre, Shakespeare's plays, etc etc). 

I am finally packed and just about ready to go. Grandma and Grandpa just stopped by and brought me some cookies for the flight and we spent a little time together.  Hugging them goodbye was the first time I think it's really struck me that I'll be gone for 1/12 of a year.  In some ways it seems like a long time, but then, compared to the last time I was in Europe, it seems like nothing.  I'm sure it will go by in an absolute flash, and I'll be back here, writing a blog about reflections on my trip.  Time does seem to fly so very quickly these days.  Before you know it, it's just...gone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment