Monday, April 16, 2012

The 80s are Back!

Crazy ladies at the clothing swap!


I had such a good weekend!  Friday night I went to my friend Bill's art show.  He was my first Argentine Tango teacher and is also an amazing artist, painting scenes primarily of Argentina and tango dancers. After there I met up with my friend Vanessa at her place in Concord and we went (with her adorable son Isaiah) to Olive Garden for dinner.  Afterward, we watched her favorite movie: "Life is Beautiful."  It is in Italian (which she speaks fluently) and they speak so fast I could barely read the subtitles in time during much of it, but I really enjoyed it.  It has such a unique mix of humor,sentiment and tragedy (it takes place during the Holocaust).  It reminded me a little of a Woody Allen film.  Anyway, I recommend it if you haven't seen it.

With Angela before the 80s party.
On Saturday evening after teaching my little girls Bible study class, I went to a clothing exchange party.  Basically, about 20 women brought all their old clothes/accessories over to one's house and we spread everything out over every piece of furniture in the house and then just started "shopping" for new things.  It is such a great/fun idea because you walk away with a whole new wardrobe for free.  I was able to find some accessories to dress up my 80s outfit (which I brought with me to attend an 80s themed b-day party at The Breakfast Club) and my friend Angela found a whole outfit to wear to the party.  It was so much fun!

At The Breakfast Club, they play all 80s music and the big screens on the wall play scenes from 80s movies.  Most people dress up and it is such a riot!  My friend Josh met us out, as did Vanessa.  As one of my friends put it, "The great thing about the 80s is that you can dance like an idiot and no one cares!"  lol

I had such a good time, though my knees and toes were aching the next day.  I do not remember feeling like this after dancing for 2 hours in heels when I was 22.  I'm getting old......lol.

At The Breakfast Club: L, Brent, Jess, Ben.
On Sunday after church and lunch, a bunch of my friends and I went to Freedom Park and the weather was out of this world!  It was high 70s with a nice breeze.  I played one round of volleyball, but I'm incredibly terrible at it. lol  I don't have depth-perception or something because I can never tell where the ball is going to land until it's in the sand. I felt bad for my team.  The one time I did something right and smacked the ball to another one of my teammates, they were all congratulating me.  That's when you know you're really bad. haha

I'm sad I'll have to miss four weeks of Park Day (as we call it) while I'm gone...but not TOO sad. ;)

I'm getting ever more excited about Europe and my return to CouchSurfing.  I miss meeting exciting new people all the time and setting out on my own, with no one's schedule to adhere to but my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment