Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Snow on Christmas Night

After returning from Raleigh, doing Christmas Eve dinner with 14 people at our house then Christmas Day dinner with 12 at the uncle's house, watching Miracle on 42nd Street and Dances with Wolves, we left my uncle's house the night of Christmas to find large snowflakes falling from the sky. 

It was my first white Christmas. 

I stood outside, spinning around and catching snowflakes on my tongue, giggling intermittently and acting for all the world like a 7 year old.  I then took pictures of the snow coming down around a very Narnia looking lamp post in my uncles yard.

On the way home, with parents and 18-year-old brother in the car, I sang along merrily to the Christmas music. "I've never gotten to sing Christmas music while it was snowing before," I said as I grinned ear to ear.

"I would never have even thought of something like that," Brother said.  Then he continued to stare at me in horror as I danced and sang in the back seat. 

"You and your father are like polar opposites," my mother commented. 

Dad, notoriously stoic and rarely laughing said she was wrong.

"Well, then you keep it all on the inside then." 

I told her when he came out and saw me catching snowflakes on my tongue, he'd smiled and said I'd just landed one.  On the inside, he's more like me than she thinks.  I mean, his favorite movie is 'It's a Wonderful Life' for goodness sake. 

The next morning we woke up to a winter wonderland.  I grabbed the sled and went out to find a hill, quickly realizing the nearest hill had recently been felled in deference to a housing development.  So, I just took the camera and walked about, photographing my only white Christmas. 






Enjoy the photos! 

1) cardinal in a backyard tree, 2) a field next door, 3) a barn at a farm down the street, 4) walking in a winter wonderland, 5) sunset on snowy trees

No comments:

Post a Comment