Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Lost Friends Returned

It was really great spending time with Erika (from Cary).  Even though we only knew each other for about six months before she left for LA and I left for my trip across America this summer, I felt like we just "got" each other.  We both went to Carolina, but we never knew each other there and she was a couple years older.  My Charlotte girlfriends have all missed her dearly, but I don't feel amiss in saying I perhaps most of all.  I have always tended to make a small group of close friends and have trouble dealing with their loss.  Anyway, spending time with her and her family, even just for one night, was really lovely.

We all watched "Remember Me" with Minnie Driver, during which her brother Aaron, Erika and I talked over most of it.  The next morning Aaron made us pancakes and eggs and forced two pomegranates upon me to bring to Lieselotte's parents house in Raleigh.

Blog readers may remember the lovely blond Lieselotte from our joint travels around Europe two summers ago.  Well, she started grad school in Holland in the fall and wasn't even sure she'd make it home this Christmas, but ended up getting the last stand-by flight out of Brussels before the winter storm closed the whole airport.  Anyway, I left on Thursday morning from Cary to drive the 30 minutes to Raleigh and spend a day with  my best friend.

Being us.
Seeing her again was like coming home in a way.  I've missed her so much - even more than I realized until I knew she was coming home, then I was counting the days.  We realized two summers ago that we are truly, soul sisters.  Thus, every time that overplayed Train song comes on the radio, I can't help but smile.  We are so similar in so many ways.  Half the time, we know what the other is thinking.

When I got there we chatted for some time, I settled in and then Frank (her ex who joined us that summer in Spain) came and took family pictures of Lies' family.  Her family, btw, is wonderful.  With one older brother and one younger and very kind parents, I always feel very welcomed there.  Frank then took photos of just Lies and I which I can't wait to see!  They were really great and I can't wait for him to send them to me so I can post a few.

Anyway, that evening Lies and I went to go see Black Swan which was....different to say the least.  Creepy and disturbing - yes.  Sexually unsettling - yes.  Great acting - yes.  Almost all the characters were really just creepy and even when nothing "scary" was happening, Lies and I both felt nervous.  lol

If it looks like we're up to something, we prob. are.
When we got home Lies' parents made an amazing meal and then we all played Trivial Pursuit - the new version which I could actually play with some competency.  I was teamed up with Lies' mom and Peter (older brother), and Lies was with her dad and Florian (younger bro).  My team more or less killed their team three times in a row, but it was a lot of fun.  I really want to get that game now...

That night as Lies and I went to sleep, we creeped ourselves out by talking about Black Swan.  "I'm so glad you're here," she whispered in a 6th-grade-sleepover kind of voice.  "I'd be so freaked out if you weren't."

The next morning I peeled one of the pomegranates which took 30 minutes and Lies made eggs and toast.  We ate so many breakfasts together senior year and the following summer and while it seemed fitting that we do it again before I drove home, it was also sad.  I know we won't see each other again until this summer.  However, I'm happy she's having a great time over there.  I can't wait until I can get the time off to go visit her.

No comments:

Post a Comment