Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Ups and Downs


My new place is finally almost done!  The rooms are all painted, my furniture is all put together, and there is food in the pantry.  This has taken quite a load off my mind, for the last week was quite hectic!

This past weekend I went to another "First Friday" (of the month) dinner party hosted this time by a friend who also lives in Ballantyne.  There were about 15 people present, and all the food was great.  One girl made homemade cinnamon pita chips - she cut up tortillas into triangles, lightly buttered, then put cinnamon sugar on top and baked them.  YUM! And Brian, the host, cooked amazing burgers. Overall, it was a good night - especially when we got in a great discussion about good new book series like The Hunger Games and Divergent. Is it sad that I get such a thrill over talking about literature? haha

On my way home I stopped by Wal Mart to pick up some picture frames, and when I finally got back to the house at 11:15 p.m., Nicole had about 8 girls spending the night, including three on an air mattress that completely filled the hall.  I said, "Umm, how am I supposed to get to the bathroom?"  They told me to just climb over them. haha


Luckily by the time I got up to go to silks on Sat morning, the ones in the hall were gone.  (Apparently the mattress had deflated in the night, so they ended up on the couch). 

After silks, I had lunch with Mom and Dad (and picked up a few more things), then spent some time with Grandma and Grandpa before going to teach my little girls' Bible study class.  When I got home, I did some more stuff around the house, and had my first night there completely alone.  It was a little lonely, but nice and quiet - and I like quiet.

On Sunday I had church then went to lunch with a group to McAllisters.  Afterward, I went to the YMCA - as I hadn't gotten to go to the gym in about a week due to the move.  I was feeling really good after running, stretching and ab work.  So I decided to work on my walking handstand. It was going pretty well until I kicked off too hard and my legs went over my head and my arms buckled and my face hit the floor followed by my body. I let out an involuntary "umph" and when I picked myself up, three different men in the exercise room were looking at me.  One said "Are you okay?" and I said, "Yeah, it happens" and pretended like I wasn't really hurting.  One of the others said, "Man, that hurt me just looking at it."  *sighs*  Why do I always fall on my head in public?  So embarrassing. 

Finally I slunk away and looked at my throbbing forehead in the bathroom mirror.  Blood pricks were making an appearance in my rug burn, which was a nice arch across the left side of my forehead. Now it's nice and tender, still red, and looks like someone's been slapping me around.  The top of my nose is also bruised, but no one can tell except me when I touch it.  That'll teach me to practice walking on my hands on a hard rubber floor.  Grass only from now on.

But good news - I have a second interview at Community Blood Center of the Carolinas tomorrow!  I figured they'd gone with someone else since I hadn't heard from them in so long, but apparently it was just taking a while to schedule the second interview and they called me yesterday afternoon. So, fingers crossed that if it's the right place for me to be, I'll get the job - and that they'll also be understanding about my San Fran trip.


Then last night, I picked up Nicole from her dad's house and when we returned, I opened the garage and started backing in when all of a sudden, something smacked my car!  I then realized that the garage (which is lower and much quieter than mine at home) was not up all the way and hit my car as I backed in.  As soon as I got the rest of the way in, I jumped out to look at the back of my poor CRV.  There were vertical scratches on the top of the back and a HOLE! in the middle.  I was like "how in the world did the garage door puncture a hole in my car??"  Then I realized the hole was not a puncture, but a pre-cut hole, and must have been covered by something else that the door ripped off.  I started looking around and found pieces of black plastic on the roof of my car.  But I still had no idea what the thing that covered the hole was.


I was pretty upset about it, but Nicole and I trudged into the house to start working on her homework.  She took a shower first and asked me to brush her hair while she worked on math.  She got hair extensions a couple months ago to make her hair about five inches longer, but that also means she gets really bad knots.  As I worked on her hair, I realized that she had a terrible knot so bad it was pretty much a dreadlock.  I worked and worked on it, sprayed it with detangler spray, conditioned it - all to no avail. She was really freaking out and didn't want to go to school with a huge dreadlock in the back of her hair, but I told her to just put it up and at the end of the day she had a hair appointment to get the extensions removed anyway. I hope they can figure out a way to get the knot out without cutting her hair off.


Today I went to Harris Teeter to buy duct tape to cover the hole on my car, then I drove to the chiropractor only to realize they are closed on Tuesday mornings (guess my appt was for Thursday morning and I forgot?), then I went to AAA where I paid for a new membership as mine had expired, got an oil change, inspection and asked them what the heck that hole was from.

They said the hole was where the garage door ripped off the rear windshield fluid sprayer.  Honda would have to replace it.  My guess: it's just gonna live with duct tape on it, cause I'm not paying an arm and a leg for Honda to fix it.

Something to look forward to, other than my interview tomorrow, is the housewarming party I'm having at the new place on Saturday. Super excited! :)  Pics of the new place soon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment