Thursday, May 17, 2012

Paris


Near the Louvre.




On a Paris bridge.
My crepe - filled with strawberry jam.
In the park behind the Louvre.
I arrived in Paris on Sunday evening where Lacey met me at the train station (which was very nice of her considering the metro ride was about 45 minutes to get to her place).  She helped me with my bags and we finally arrived at the three-bedroom flat she shares with 4 guys and one other girl.  They are all French and some didn't speak much English, but they were welcoming.  Lacey's balcony was really great because they have a distant view of the Eiffel Tower and Sacre-Coeur. That night, after Lacey made me some chicken and salad for dinner, I called home since it was mother's day.  A huge chunk of my family (Uncle Bob, Aunt Coleen, Megan, Kelly, Bob S., Camryn, Sydney, Mom, Dad, Grandma, Grandpa and Cheryl) had all spent the day over at Uncle Bob's where they had a big brunch.  The day before, Aunt Coleen and Megan had flown into town to surprise Grandma for Mother's Day.  I was really wishing I was in Charlotte, talking with all of them, but Paris is lovely and the next day, I was glad to be there.
Chillin by the Eiffel.


On Monday, we could not have asked for better weather.  The bluest of skies, only a few white clouds, and everything green.  It was the first time I got to wear flip flops since I've gotten to Europe.  Lacey and I got some picnic food at the grocery store and then took a long metro ride to one of the biggest/best park in Paris - Parc des Buttes-Chaumont.  There is a man-made lake, waterfalls, bridges and a temple looking thing at the top of a big hill with views over Paris. We sat in the sun, eating and people watching, then walked around exploring.  I really enjoyed the suspension bridge, as it moved when you walked across it. :)

The suspension bridge in the park.
After that, we took the metro to the Louvre. We didn't actually go to the Louvre, as I've already been there and the line was atrocious, but we spent some time in the gardens and took photos. We then went to a nearby cafe and got a cheese plate and crepes - both of which, were AMAZING.  AND, the French woman who waited on us was not only pleasant, but nice.  Lacey said she's the nicest French woman she's ever met since she's been living in Paris and therefore plans to go back there frequently.  

We then decided to walk to the Arch de Triumph, but it was much farther away than it seemed (it always is), so once I got a good view, I was like, "OK, I'm done, let's go to the Eiffel Tower now."  
Lacey's reflection in my new sunglasses.

We went to the Eiffel and took some good photos (again, not going up b/c I've already done that and it's expensive), then took the metro home just in time to go to the grocery store before it closed.  That night, Lacey made rice, stir-fry veggies and chicken for dinner.  It was very good.

With Lacey on the bridge.
On Tuesday, we woke up to clouds and some rain, as well as much colder temperatures.  But, I suppose that was okay because I had to get some work done and I would be less motivated if it had been another beautiful day.  Once I finished, Lacey and I took another long metro ride (I've decided the Paris metro system isn't very efficient compared to London's) to the Musee d'Orsay.  This is my favorite museum in Paris and is full of wonderful impressionist paintings.  However, it had been closed the day before, and on Tuesday, it was open and the Louvre was closed - which meant the line was insane.  As soon as we saw it, I gave up on the idea of getting inside.  Instead, we went to Notre Dame.  On the way, we crossed this bridge covered in locks - it shimmers gold and silver from a distance.  Each lock has names written on them of different couples.  We tried to find all the ones that had my name on it.  Apparently, I am loved by a guy named Tony and a guy named Adam.  lol 

On the bridge of locks.
Once we got to Notre Dame, I was inside looking around the beautiful church when Lacey got a phone call and stepped out.  By the time I got out, it was raining, but stopped just about the time I found Lacey. Unfortunately, Lacey had been outside in the rain the whole time and it even hailed a bit, so, in her own words, she looked like a drowned rat.  lol  We went to a Starbucks to get her a coffee and make her feel better, then headed home for me to pack my things.  After a brief respite, Lacey helped me carry all my stuff and we took an hour metro ride to the train station where my overnight train to Madrid was departing from. 

We got there a little early and so I bought  us club sandwich baguettes for dinner and we sat on the floor of the station and chatted until my train arrived.  

Inside Notre Dame.
Overall, it had been a great  two days with Lacey in Paris.  I did, however, notice something I hadn't really noticed before.  Parisian people (unlike French from other parts of France), are very entitled and rude sometimes.  And they have no regard for personal space.  In the grocery store, we'd be standing in line, and they'd just keep pushing us, pushing us, as if by pushing us, we could make the cashier ring us up more quickly and be done.  It was so ridiculous.  They also tend to turn their noses up at American things (like take out) on principal simply because "it's American."  Which does not seem to be the case in Normandy, for example, where they remember that the Americans are the reason they still speak French today and not  German.  But oh well - the buildings in Paris are absolutely beautiful and I had a great time.  
Eating my final Paris baguette.




No comments:

Post a Comment