Sunday, May 13, 2012

Bayeux

Today I went to Bayeux via train with the hopes of getting a bus to the American cemetery and then walking to Omaha Beach.  However, when I got off the train and asked the info booth lady about the bus, she said, "Sunday -  no bus."  But the next train back to Caen was in 2 hours.  So I asked her what there was to do within walking distance of the train station. She gave me a map of the town and circled a few things including a cathedral, the British war cemetery and a D-Day museum.  The town is quite small and very typically French - I was consistently singing songs from Beauty and the Beast because it was just that kind of town.  The Cathedral was giant and beautiful and utterly breathtaking.  The streets were cobbled and the houses and shops looked like something out of a fairy tale book.


Inside the Cathedral.
From the cathedral I walked to the D-Day museum where I learned a bunch of stuff about various generals and D-Day strategies and operations, but there is only so much you can read and retain, and I really wanted to be outside as it was a beautiful day in the 60s with blue blue skies and a breeze.  When I left there I walked across the street to the British cemetery.  Walking among the hundreds and hundreds of headstones, almost all of which were ages 18-25, I couldn't help but crying.  I suddenly felt, with vivid clarity, the waste and heartbreak of war - especially upon reading the inscriptions upon the bottom of each headstone. Some examples:
"Good night, sweet prince, and flights of angels sing thee to thy rest - Mother."  Age 19.
"He lost the years, the light, the laughter, but found peace.  He died for us." Age 19.
"I miss you know as I missed you then. Someday we shall meet again darling." Age 29.
"A loving son, only lent, one of the best God ever sent. Ever with us, Mum and Dad." Age22.

So yeah, I just sort of walked around reading and crying until I just couldn't take it anymore.  Then I went to a cafe and had a hamburger (which was fairly gross) and mint chocolate chip ice cream (yum), then took the train back to Caen where I packed up my stuff at Marinas and she drove me to the train station, which was very sweet because the bus schedules are crazy on Sundays. 

All in all, it was a good day, even though I was bummed that I'd been wanting to see Omaha Beach since I planned the trip and it didn't work out.  However, I no longer have anymore expectations of things I must see in Europe, so that's probably good. :)

This is only a small amount of the graves at the cemetery.
Now I'm in Paris with Lacey, who CSed with me in Charlotte last spring.  I'm happy to be with another English-speaker again and I look forward to going about the city with her for the next 2 days.

In the British war cemetary

No comments:

Post a Comment