Friday, March 30, 2012

The Beginning of Something New (I Hope!)

Today I got my final MFA writing program rejection.  To say I am not disappointed would be a lie, but after so many others, it doesn't really come as a surprise.  I'm glad I tried (even if it does feel like I just flushed $1,000 down the toilet).  This was something that's been on my mind for a few years and if I hadn't tried, I would have always wondered.  And, I can always try again in future if I want to.  (And maybe be a little more realistic about the programs I apply to - applying only to schools whose acceptance rates range from .25% to 2% isn't the best idea).  Every program said this year's applicant pool was the largest to date - no wonder, it's hard to find jobs out there!  So yes, I'm disappointed, but instead of looking at this as the end, I'm trying to look at is as the start of something new.

I know that door is closed for now, and I know that I don't want to keep freelancing forever.  I need a career - a job that has benefits and that I can make a living from.  It is time to grow up.  So, I will start pursuing other options.  I have a few people with connections that I am going to talk to and hopefully by the time I return from Europe at the end of May, I can start really focusing on that next step.

No comments:

Post a Comment