Saturday, July 16, 2011

Mountain Weekend Before 4th of July

Colene and Danny on the hike to Hawksbill
On Friday, July 1, Colene and her husband Danny drove down from Raleigh, ate dinner with us, and then took me with them to my grandparent's mountain house in Jonas Ridge, NC.  It was about 10 p.m. when we arrived and soon after we walked down to the Keith's place a few houses down the mountain.  My old friend Weston was there with his band staying at his parents' house. 

Weston and I met when I came to the mountains for the first time.  I was around 10, he was 8.  As one of the only other children on the mountain (when his family was there visiting their mountain house), we played together frequently.  Our games usually consisted of 1) hide-and-go-seek/tag combination, 2) war, 3)gorilla war.  Sensing a pattern here?  Weston made guns out of sticks and, having no one else to play with, I was roped into the game along with my little brother and cousins who live down the mountain.  Weston usually wore camouflage and was outside constantly.

The three of us on Hawksbill
Today, Weston is in a band that is going places - literally.  They frequently travel to NYC, London and all sorts of other places.  Weston's hair has more product than mine ever has and his pants are tighter than mine as well.  The v-neck t-shirts and dog tag necklace complete the rocker look.  I can't help but smile internally when I look at him now - where did that 8-year-old camo-wearing little boy go?  Now I'm looking at  22 year old Steven Tyler wanna-be (well, you know, without the crazy face and former drug problems).  It makes me wonder if I've changed as much, though somehow, I doubt it. 

At the top.
I wonder about people sometimes - what makes them who they are and how often can that change?  Most of the things I loved when I was younger, I still love - nature, sliding down waterfalls, climbing trees, dancing, singing, dressing up, reading and writing.  So, the question is - if someone develops new interest that they throw themselves into and a new style, does that sometimes overwrite the old, or just mask it? 

Anyway, it was wonderful to see Weston since whenever we've gone up the mountains in the last few years, he's never been there.  Colene, Danny and I sat around their campfire and the band played music - original and covers and everyone sang and made s'mores.  It was really a great night.

The next day Weston and the band went back to Concord, and Colene, Danny and I went to hike Hawksbill.  The view from the top is to die for, and it's a must-see for able-bodied mountain visitors.  While it moderately difficult climb, the 360 degree vista from the top is worth it. 

Me sliding down Lower Falls.
After that, we came back and relaxed a bit at the cabin and then went to Lower Falls.  After the hike down, we slid down the waterfall that I "discovered" when I was about 12.  We had the place to ourselves and it was lovely.  From there, we hiked up through the gorge until we reached Upper Falls.  It was much more crowded up there - especially at the swimming hole.  The swimming hole is a deep, freezing pool of water that people can slide into via waterfalls or swing into on a rope swing.  I became the official photographer for Danny and Colene as I didn't feel like getting wet again and clouds were making the place cooler than usual. 

By the time we hiked back to the car, we were pooped.  Back at the house, I worked on planning my Utah trip while Danny and Colene took naps.  A few hours later, Uncle Reid and the boys (my cousins Adam (13) and Brandon(19)) came up to the house.  They brought two little Jack Russel puppies that were SO adorable it almost made me want a dog - almost.  Anyway, they didn't have names yet, so I named them myself - Pirate and Dot.  Both girls - Pirate has a black patch over one eye and Dot has a round spot on her side. 

The swimming hole at Upper Falls.
Colene and Danny came out for a little bit and played with the dogs as well.  After they left, Colene, Danny and I got a call from my Grandma Bailey who was driving up from Tallahassee with Uncle Andy and Lily (13) for a Bailey family reunion.  They were on their way to stay with Uncle David near Boone, but they were going to have dinner at the Italian Restaurant near us.  We decided to meet them down there for dinner.

Colene knew my uncle and grandma from when she visited with me in Tallahassee while she was attending FSU.  I had a calzone that was HUGE - cheese, spinach and pineapple.  It was amazing.

Mom and Brett drove up from Charlotte that night (Saturday) and arrived about 11 p.m. 

Sunset in Jonas Ridge.





Dot sleeping
The next morning, my dad got of work in Charlotte, picked up my Uncle John from the airport at 7 a.m., and drove to Uncle David's house near Boone.  Colene, Danny, Mom, Brett and I met the whole gang over there and talked for a while before Colene and Danny had to drive back to Raleigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment