Monday, July 25, 2011

Chilling in Moab

We all got up around 8 a.m. and started getting ready for the day.  Meera was going to go get some postcards, but when she started looking for her wallet, she couldn't find it.  Finally, we realized she must have left it atop the car the day before when paying for the camping and then we drove off and someone picked it up.  She was, obviously, upset, and needed to cancel her cards and such, so after playing a little bball with the boys, I dropped Meera off at an internet cafe with some money and Eric, Jarod and I grabbed some grub for lunch before I had to take Eric to the airport to fly back home.  I left Jarod at the cafe which also had internet so he could buy a bus ticket from Las Vegas to LA on the day I fly home. 

The Moab airport was about 30 minutes away, and as we drove, you could see the heat rising from the road - it got to 106 that day.  Just being out in the sunshine felt like needles prickling your skin.  It was crazy hot.  At the "airport" I parked in long-term parking (i.e. a gravel lot right in front of the main building which was free).  I then walked with Eric into what appeared to be a lounge - there were sofas, chairs and a TV with magazines on end tables.  The check in desk was manned by one person, and the security checkpoint led you strait to the outside tarmac.  We asked the guy at the desk how long I could hang out with Eric before he had to go through security - the guy said "well, a while I reckon.  We start boarding about 10 minutes till the plane leaves."  So, we had a little less than an hour to kill.  Then the man said, "Are you Eric" and we were both like "How did you know that?"  He told us he could read minds and mine was saying "When can this jerk get on a plane already?"  haha  But, we figured it out - there were only 2 or 3 people boarding and I guess the others had already checked in.  He said the plane only would have about five passengers and some were coming from somewhere else first. 

We spent the time watching skydiving videos on the TV (which is what the airport is primarily used for).  While we waited, some man came up to us and said, "Are you two going up with her?"  We were totally confused, until we realized he thought we were going to observe the girl who was filling out her paperwork jump out of the plane.  We were like "umm, no." lol 

When it was time to go through security, the man behind the desk actually walked over to us and told us.  I then stood there the entire time until Eric literally walked through the metal detector.  It was pretty ridiculous and definitely my favorite airport ever.  :)

When I drove back to Moab, I met Jarod again at the cafe and then we walked to where Meera was and I used the internet for a while.  When we were all done, we went to the grocery store and bought hotdogs to go with corn we already had to cook on the grills at the campsite.  It was such a yummy dinner - I had two hotdogs and such good corn - even with no butter or salt!  As we finished our dinner, it started to rain.  I took a shower and got ready for bed right before it really started coming down.  Since we were trapped in the tent, I ended up going to sleep right before 10.  I woke up at 6:35, saw the sunrise on some nearby rocks, and went back to sleep until 7.  It was the best night's sleep I've gotten so far. 

Since there weren't really any photos from this day, I included some below that I just got off of Meera's camera.

The three of us on the West Rim Trail in Zion.

The middle part of the Angel's Landing trail in Zion.

Jarod, Eric and me with the rental car in Capitol Reef.

Overlooking Chimney Rock in Capitol Reef.

Posing in a rock in Capitol Reef.

Prairie dogs in Bryce.

No comments:

Post a Comment