Thursday, January 13, 2011

How to Feed the Soul

Do you ever have one of those perfect days?  Not because you had the most wonderful date or because you were somewhere exotically cool, but just because the people in your everyday life made you really happy.

That was yesterday for me.  I was slightly down about something and all my friends just...made me smile.  They made me realize how much love I have in my life.  From the simple act of a coworker asking me to walk with him to the cafeteria to the homemade cookies Elizabeth Anne made for our small group meeting at church.  Even Elise, too worried about driving in the ice, skyping into our meeting.  It was just capital (do you like that British use of the word?).

On the way home, I called my best friend/cousin Michael and was just really hoping to catch him in.  We usually talk every two weeks and it had been since before New Year's and that conversation hadn't been long as we'd both been busy at the time.  I was bummed when it went to voice mail, but right after I arrived home, he called back and we talked for over an hour - and even though I'm tired today because I stayed up too late, I'm so happy that we had that chance.  That I got to tell him about all that's been going on with me and he got to tell me about his amazing trip to DC/NYC/Boston.  I loved that we both thought Boston was soooo cool and that we both took pictures of John Winthrop's grave (our ancestor). 

When I was in Boston, I couldn't shake the idea of collective memory - feeling like you have iconic memories that have been passed down to you through many generations which makes you feel like you've been somewhere before when you haven't.  Everywhere I turned I had the strangest feeling of deja vu

or of coming home.  The best part?  When I told Michael, he didn't act like I was crazy.  In fact, said he felt like maybe our kinship to Bostonians is what made the city and its people welcome us in a way that other city's did not.  And the logical segue from there was, "When is the next Clan of the Cave Bear book coming out?"  A series that I first got into (and got the idea of collective memory from) and then made Michael a fan of - and we are praying the series is wrapped up before the author, who's in her 80s, dies.


There was nothing extraordinary about our conversation - it was just a perfect one.  Two best friends, sharing excitement, humor and concern with perfect balance.  And when I hung up, I felt like I'd just finished the most perfect meal. 

My soul that day had been filled with succulent lamb, healthy greens, buttery rolls and mint chocolate chip ice cream.  It was utterly content.  In fact, it was more than content - it was blissful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment