Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Working Girl


"Friendsgiving" - a bunch of us got together for food and fun

Working life is treating me well thus far!  I quite enjoy my job, though I can see already that driving is going to get old really fast.  I drive to blood drives almost every day, usually far away from my home and/or office.  Think Hickory, Gastonia, Lincolnton, Mint Hill, etc.  However, I get paid for both my drive time and .55 cents a mile, so not too bad. I just need to load up on books on CD. 

My job consists of going to blood drives at schools, businesses, YMCAs, churches etc. and informing people about the blood drive and asking them/convincing them to donate. I have a goal of blood units for each drive, and I try to get at least that many units.  In my first three or four recruitments, I exceeded goal, but the last three were difficult with the holidays upon us and people being in a rush.  I’m hoping to do really well the weekend after Thanksgiving since people will be out and about, and hopefully feeling benevolent. J

Mitch, Tiffany, me and Jeff at Friendsgiving
When in the office, I create lawn signs for the drives, ship them out, make sure other promotional materials are ready way ahead of time and do other random things to help the developers (those who schedule the drives with the sponsors).

Yesterday I worked 10.5 hours, but Friday I won’t have to work until 3, so that’s good.  The hours are fairly flexible (other than when I have to be at drives), which enables doctors’ appointments and things of that nature.  

Unfortunately, I don’t have the time to work out every day anymore, but when on the job, I’m almost always on my feet either standing or walking.  I also eat less than I would at home because I stay busy and don’t think about it as much.  I’m hoping that will balance out my lack of gym time and I won’t gain weight! J  I also bought five new pairs of really comfortable shoes because I realized that standing 5 hours at a time is not possible in most of the dressy shoes I own.  Over $500 later, I now have shoes that are both cute and comfortable, and should last me a long, long time.

I’m still doing the Charity Column for the newspaper once a week, and tutoring once a week.  I also have Bible study once a week and silk either once or twice a week (depending on what I can fit in).  Tonight will be the first time I get to go to silk class since I left for California. I’m really excited, but I know I’m going to be dying up there – it’s so exhausting if you’ve missed time and try to return to the swing of things.

Last weekend I got baptized which was really nice.  I’d never been baptized before, so it’s something that was on my list.  Nothing like getting in a big tub of water fully clothed in front of 50 of your friends, family and strangers. Haha  I was really glad to do it though and was happy that Pastor David was the one baptizing the night I was there.

I also met someone at a charity event called the Red Hot Turkey Bash.  His name is Jeff and this other woman I’d started talking to at the event met us both and introduced us to one another.  If things continue to go well, I know she will take personal credit for it. Haha  Jeff is 31 and 6’4” – almost a full foot taller than me.  But that’s okay, because I carry myself like I’m 5’8”.  J

Mom and Dad are driving to Alabama to see Brett for Thanksgiving, so I’m doing Turkey Day with Maria, Nicole and their family.  It’ll be the first Thanksgiving without family, but they pretty much feel like family, so it won’t be much different.

No comments:

Post a Comment