Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Hilton Head for Labor Day


For Labor Day weekend, Tiffany, her fiance Mitch and I all went down and stayed with my mom's friend Linda on Hilton Head Island, SC.
Mitch, me, Tiff at HHI

We arrived about midnight Friday night, after a 4.5 hour drive that went by miraculously fast. It was so good having travel buddies - I so often drive alone. 

Linda's house was beautiful and there was enough space in the living room for a blowup mattress for Tiff and Mitch, and a big couch for me.  The next day we took a bike ride to the grocery store to pick up some things, then headed down to the beach with Linda and her boyfriend Jeff. 

Handstand on the beach!
It was a really spectacular day and we mostly just lounged in the shade of their giant beach tent. Finally, as it really started heating up, Tiff, Mitch and I decided to hit the water.  Tiffany and I were a little wary because HHI is known for its marine life and Linda's son, Nic, had just told us about being stung by a stingray.  Mitch was telling Tiffany and I not to be silly, that we'd be fine, then all of a sudden he goes "ahh, I was just stung by a jelly fish" and starts swimming away.  We thought he was joking to try and scare us, but when he confirmed that he was serious, Tiff and I were back on the beach in about 3 seconds. lol  We didn't go back in the water that day, and Mitch had four lines across the top of his foot where the jelly fish tentacles had wrapped around it.

After 5 p.m., dogs are allowed on the beach, and Linda went to get her dog, Bailey, and it made friends with some other local dogs.  Well then, one of the other dogs runs up right by my chair and lifts his leg, and by the time I realize what he's doing, it's a little too late.  I jumped up, but he still got a little pee on me.  Tiffany thought it was hysterical (and it kind of was - I mean really, who gets peed on by a dog?).  I braved the ocean again to rinse off. 

Linda and Jeff
sunset by the Boat House Restaurant
As it approached dinner time, Tiff, Mitch and I went back to the house (about a five minute walk from the beach) and got ready to go out to dinner.  We went to a place called The Boat House, recommended by Linda and Jeff.  The wait was 90 minutes, so we put down our names (Linda & Jeff planned to meet us there), and enjoyed the lovely evening and the sunset.  There was a long dock and we walked to the end and watched the last rays of sunlight fade from the sky, making the water orangy as it went. 

The food was delicious - I had fish tacos which were YUM!  From there we all went to a place called The Triangle where there are several clubs and bars, very close to where Linda lives. Linda and Jeff wanted to hear a band play, but they were running really late and as we waited for them to come on, I was getting really frustrated.  They were going to perform on an outdoor stage, so we got seats outdoors, but then everyone was smoking around us and it was really bothering me, then it got more crowded, and people were pushing up against us, and then some drunk lady stumbled and grabbed my shoulder as she went past and I was just DONE.  I left the four of them there and returned to the house. 
Tiff and Mitch on the pier.

After showering and getting in my PJs, Linda's roommate, Brian (who is also 25), got home and hung out with me for a little bit until the others returned.  When they got back, they convinced me to change and we all went for a walk on the beach looking for sea turtles.  We didn't find any, but I did find a hula-hooper with a light up hula-hoop which I got to try.  That was fun. 

Mitch and Tiff in the kayak.
The three of us on the dolphin cruise.
On Sunday we slept in late and then headed to a section of inter-coastal nearby where they rent kayaks.  Brian was able to use his connections and get us free kayaks for two hours! We couldn't believe our luck.  I had my own and Tiff and Mitch shared.  We saw a ton of jumping fish, some interesting birds, and a lot of beautiful houses and trees.  It was hot, but it was good exercise and I really enjoyed it.  After returning to the house to shower/change, we made a move toward Sea Pines (an exclusive area of HHI) where our dolphin cruise left from. (Tiff had gotten us groupons for a dolphin cruise before we left).  Tiff and I were worried about getting seasick, but we both did fine.  (Probably because we were mostly in a bay).  We saw a ton of dolphins, though none actually jumped out of the water or anything.  Basically, the boat we were on followed the shrimp boats and the dolphins were always behind the shrimp boats.  It was hot initially, but the last half hour was really lovely as the sun started to go down and the breeze picked up.  From there, the three of us headed to the Salty Dog Cafe (a world famous restaurant) where we got a snack and some Salty Dog paraphernalia.Then we went to a beach in Sea Pines and walked the beach in the falling dusk.
following a shrimp boat to see dolphins

We ended our evening at a delicious pizza restaurant before heading back to the house.

On Monday, we spent a few hours at the beach and Tiff and I borrowed Linda's neighbor's surf boards to try and surf (as the waves were bigger).  Unfortunately, they weren't quite big enough to surf, and we ended up using them more like boogie boards (though we put in a valiant effort in standing on the boards). We didn't get stung by anything, which was great, and we definitely got some good exercise! 

At last, though we didn't want the weekend to end, we went back to the house and got ready to leave.  We thanked Linda and Jeff, who had been fantastic hosts, and left about 4 p.m.   It was a really lovely weekend!
Tiff and Mitch on the beach.

walking the beach




No comments:

Post a Comment