Thursday, June 7, 2012

Home Again, Home Again

With my church friends (and our Bible study leader Kathy).


So, as most of you know, I am back Stateside - and life hasn't slowed down a bit! The day after I returned, I babysat for my little cousin Camryn all day.  The next day I caught up with family and friends, and on Saturday I went to my friend Elizabeth Anne's wedding, which was absolutely perfect and gorgeous. The reception was at Charlotte City Club - which is on about the 40th floor of one of the bank buildings uptown.  The view is unbelievable, but I didn't spend too much time at the windows - per usual, I was the first one on and off the dance floor and I went limping out after hours of dancing. 

The next morning I was so happy to go back to church and see everyone again, not to mention hear a sermon in English! :)  Afterward, as all my friends stood around chatting, I took suggestions for a lunch location and got everyone moving toward Which Wich in Park Road Shopping Center.  Ben laughed and said, "We've missed you Lauren - since you've been gone, no one has been here to organize lunch and so we all end up starving." lol

We sat outside for lunch - there were about 8 of us - and it was so nice to look around and see the beloved faces of my friends.  I love making new friends while traveling, and the hilarity of trying to overcome language barriers and learn about each other, but it is also very comforting to sit amongst old friends and know you don't have to even speak - they are there for you and they love you.

Tearing it up on the dance floor with Fabio (notice how no one else is dancing). lol
My return experience this time has been a pleasant surprise from last time I got back from Europe three years ago.  Back then, I returned after six months from Europe and, other than family, had little to return to.  My friends had all just graduated college and moved to new places.  I was alone and jobless.  The reverse culture shock was hitting me hard and I felt a bit low for a few weeks.  This time, I came home excited to see everyone and get back to the activities I love and to all the thrilling things I have planned for the summer. That's when it hit me - I have a life here now. 

Don't get me wrong - I will never quench the travel lust - but being satisfied at home makes it easier to wait for the next adventure patiently. :)

So what am I doing now?  Well, for starters, I'm going to begin the process of looking for a new job. I love freelancing and the freedom it gives me, but we all know it can't go on forever.  I don't make enough to live on my own and without benefits, I'll be in trouble next year when I turn 26 and get kicked off my parents' plan.  I also feel it is time to move on to something different and new.

With Elizabeth Anne - the beautiful bride.
I actually just applied for a job as an Assistant to the Director of Global Studies at Providence Day School (a nearby private school). The job would include traveling abroad with student-faculty groups! 

I'm also talking to Tiffany's dad tomorrow about potential jobs through the banking industry here.  So, I'll keep you all posted if and when I hear anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment