Friday, December 2, 2011

How is it Nearly Christmas?

The nuclear family on Thanksgiving.



This time of year, the days seem to go by in such a blur, all of a sudden you wake up and think "Where did October and November go??"  For the last month or so, I've been so preoccupied with my graduate school applications and busy with work for the Observer, I feel like the season hasn't really sunk in yet. 

All 17 of us on Thanksgiving.
Thanksgiving was great - there were 17 of us at Uncle Bob's house - but it was a bit of a bummer not traveling like we normally do for the holiday.  I'm sure we won't be going anywhere for Christmas either, but perhaps we can go see my family in MD or FL after Christmas.  I miss them a lot, and the sudden reality of not being here next year is hitting me quite forcefully. 

It's a strange and exciting prospect - leaving here for the great unknown.  For the moment, I'm trying not to think about it.  God has it under control and wherever I should go, that is where I will get in - I have no doubt.  But if it is one of the schools very far away from all my family and friends, it will prove an adjustment.  Not that I couldn't handle it - I've never really gotten homesick per say, but it will be more a sadness of missing out on things.  Things like my little cousins' birthday parties, my grandparents' stories, watching So You Think You Can Dance with Mom, and Christmas tea parties with my life group gals.  That is the problem with someone who loves so many people, places and things - you want to be split into multiple persons in order to fully enjoy everything. 

Until now, leaving didn't really seem like a reality - more like a far off dream.  But, now that all my applications are submitted, for better or for worse, the prospect is quite real. I should find out in March and April, which, at the rate time is going, will be here before I know it.  However, I may not get into any of the schools - they are all so prestigious - so who knows, maybe all this anticipation is for nothing. 

On a different note, I'm going to do my first silk aerial performance Dec. 18.  It will only be 4 1/2 minutes long, but I'm quite excited.  My family and friends are all coming to watch.  Oh, and I also went indoor rock climbing recently and did pretty well for my first time in about 8 years!  I thank the silks for all my new-found upper body strength. :)

Vanessa, me, Heather, Amanda, Whitney at Christmas Tea.
Last night, I went with four of my life group girls to the Historic Reid House of downtown Matthews for a Christmas Tea Party.  We dressed all up and wore old hats and gloves given to my friend Whitney by her grandmother.  All the people there made such a fuss over us and asked to take our picture.  The tea was put on by the Matthew's Women's Club and all the treats were homemade.  I bought a recipe book with all those recipes and more afterward because they were so delicious!  It made me miss England something terrible though!  Whitney and I spoke in British accents half the time and there were carolers and a harpist and pianist.  It was a lovely start to the season, and I'm doing a story on the group who puts on the tea every year - I'll return on Sunday for their first ever Children's Tea.  I can't wait to see all the little girls dressed up for tea time!

I'm attending so many Christmas parties this season.  Luckily, the one I'm going to tomorrow night is a bonfire at a friend's house and is therefore free.  The Christmas Tea was $25 and Second String Santa which I always attend is $20 plus a toy, so when I get free entertainment, I'm thrilled.  lol 

Showing off my outfit.
Unfortunately, with the Christmas season upon us, I just spent $350 on my car.  Ugg.  It started making a horrible squealing sound that we thought was the rear differential fluid, so I had that replaced, but then the sound came back and they discovered that it was my rear breaks.  However, it is now humming quite perfectly so at least I know I'm safe on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment