Friday, June 3, 2011

Crazy Busyness

I haven't written in a while because I've been incredibly busy!  I've been working a lot for the Observer, and over the past few days I've been told (not asked) that I need to write another column weekly (school news - I already do charity column), as well as pick up several extra stories per week for the Ballantyne section because the main reporter for that section is pregnant and ill and will soon be having the baby and therefore, not able to work for the summer.  This is on top of the 2 stories a week I already do for my normal South Charlotte Sunday section.  So, basically, I'm supposed to be writing 4 to 6 stories a week and do 2 columns - that's more than a full-time reporter, and I'm not getting benefits or hourly wages!  I'm sorry, the whole point of being a freelancer is being FREE.  I mean, I can always use the work, but a little gratitude never hurt.  Or a please would be nice.  Anyway, so I'm a bit stressed out since I have a lot of travel plans this summer.  My best friend Lieselotte is in town from Amsterdam only for the month of June, and then I'm going to Utah for the last 2 weeks of July.

Oh, yes - Utah is a definite!  I will fly to Las Vegas July 16 and meet up with a girl from London and a guy from China (both of whom I found through Couchsurfing).  I've talked to both, but have not met either.  They both seem like really cool people and should be very fun to travel with.

We will rent a car on the 17th and Vegas and drive to Utah.  We will go to: Zion Nat'l Park, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef Nat'l Park, Arches Nat'l Park and Canyonlands Nat'l Park.  We will camp - which means I have to fit my tent and sleeping bag into a suitcase!  Ah!  lol 

I'll return the car the morning of July 30 in Vegas and fly home that afternoon. 

My high school best friend Tiffany flew into town yesterday morning so I picked her up from the airport and took her to her parent's lake house on Lake Norman.  We spent the day working on our computers, then we went in the pool for a while before heading to dinner and a movie.  Tiffany, her mom and I all saw Bridesmaids which was very funny, though a bit hard-edge at times. 

Today, Tiffany and I went on the jet ski and met my Uncle Bob, cousin Erin, her wife Kerri, and my brother out while they were on Uncle Bob's  boat.  We all switched off skiing off the boat and riding the jet ski.  It was a fun day and Uncle Bob was kind enough to treat us all to a yummy lunch at a lakeside restaurant. 

After swimming in the pool some more with Tiffany, we both got ready to go and while she drove to Asheville, I drove back to Charlotte and visited with the family at Grandma and Grandpa's house where Grandma made chili for everyone.  Now I'm exhausted and really need to go to bed.  I'm covering a story tomorrow, writing a couple and going shopping with Erin, Kerri and Mom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment