Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Joy of Surprises

Vanessa, EA and Me at EA's Derby Party



Bird on Ft. Desoto Beach



















Per usual in summertime, it has been ever busy.  My friend Patrick from Austin, TX flew in on Sat night while I was at a Kentucky Derby Party (in Charlotte).  I picked him up and we returned to the party where everyone was dressed in their big hats and derby dresses.  In the evening, several of us sat around a backyard fire, keeping the bugs off us and enjoying the nice night.

The next day was Mother's Day.  After giving my mom a card, Patrick and I went to church, then met the family at Grandma and Grandpa's house.  It was good seeing everyone, though brief as Patrick and I then went to Freedom Park to play sports with a bunch of my friends.  We played Ultimate again and it was a lot of fun, even if my team did lose. :(  Patrick also played volleyball and soccer, but I was busy reading my Disney book.  :)

On Monday I had to do a good bit of work in preparation for the week off to go to Florida that we embarked on come Tuesday.

On the beach at Ft. Desoto.
We drove to Tampa in just about 9 hours flat, listening to "The Hunger Games" in the car.  We are staying with my cousin Michael's girlfriend because she has a large place.  Michael brought a big takeout Boston Market dinner for us and then we all went to an authentic beer garden that sold German food, drinks and candy.  It was a nice atmosphere and I got apple strudel.   

Today (Wed), Patrick and I went to Ft. Desoto - a state park south of St. Pete.  The beaches were white and the water was clear.  We saw stingrays, dolphins and fish.  It was really pretty, but a little too warm.  The water, however, was perfect - refreshing but not freezing.

After Ft. Desoto, we drove to USF's botanical gardens which were pretty and shady which was nice.

At the USF Botanical Gardens.
When we got back to Elana's apartment, I found out that I had a story published in UNC's Alumni Review magazine.  I was so excited.  Here is the link: http://alumni.unc.edu/article.aspx?sid=8235.  What a treat!

Pictures soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment