Monday, March 21, 2011

A Reflection of Our Time

Swinging from a tree at Maclay.
Dad and I went to Florida again recently.  This time to Tallahassee to see my grandmother and brother who came down from Auburn for his spring break. 

It was really good to see both of them - it felt like a long time - and the weather was lovely.  We went to Maclay Gardens right near grandma's house and walked through some canopied trails one day.  The next day we went to Wakula Springs and saw tons of beautiful birds and scary looking alligators in the water.  We also saw two manatees!  That was quite exciting because they aren't supposed to be in water below 70 degrees, and Wakula is 68 degrees all year long since it is spring fed. 

In other news, it looks like I'm getting a real position at the paper - with benefits and everything.  Unfortunately, I'll be covering the Lake Norman area which is a good hour from my house; however, I'm hoping that I can schedule the interviews I do up there back to back and thus only have to be up there about 2 days a week.  I can write from home as well, so hopefully that will help counter the gas expenses.  I can't believe I just paid $3.49 a gallon to fill up my car - in SC!  Here in Charlotte it's nearly $4! 
Canopied trails in Maclay



Today it crossed my mind how different the world will be by the time I have grown children.  Sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't almost be a disservice to have children in this day and age.  The tsunami footage coming from Japan is horrific - and it's only one of many, many natural disasters that have multiplied tenfold in the last decade.  Here in the USA, I'm not sure if we'll be able to afford gas for our cars in the future - though I guess by then they'll have come up with something different.  It struck me as sad that my kids might not be able to get the experience of driving around the country.  Perhaps that's just pessimistic thoughts though. 
An egret.


 But what about Venice and the Outer Banks?  Will they still be there when my kids are my age?  Both are slowly receding beneath the sea.  What about the little delis and bakeries in Europe?  Will the massive super markets finally put them out of business, just as they've done here?

I know I shouldn't think about these things.  They really are just passing fears that I quickly push back on the shelf.  This just happens to be a forum where I can dig them out, sort them through my fingers, and then, realizing there is nothing I can do about them, shove them back on the shelf. 

Manatees.
One of my biggest fears?  Technology.  I know, I know - everyone else thinks the iPhone is the best thing since sliced bread and if you go somewhere without wifi it's the end of the world.  Even today I caught myself thinking, "Perhaps with my new job it would behoove me to get an internet phone."  I almost slapped myself for such blasphemy.  lol  But the thing is, this "connecting" technology is also driving us apart.  It is taking us away from the present.  From what is in front of us - from what matters.  It is making us believe that a virtual world is just as important as the one in front of us.  But how can you compare such 'advances' to the grandeur of God's creation?  To the Redwoods and the canyons, to the mountains and the beaches.  To the great architectural feats of cities like Paris, Athens and Rome.  And how come I feel like I am the only one who does not see why these things are so much more important than the new things we've created to take their place? 

Logically, I know I am not the only one - but among my peers, it strikes me often that I am "other."  I am on the outside looking in.  Or perhaps on the outside looking back.  Longing for what was. 

A beautiful Anhinga bird.
It is the reason why the European countries so impressed me.  Their appreciation of history.  Their love for long talks (in person) over good food (which they take the time to savor) in beautiful places (like below the acropolis where they periodically look up in awe).  I hate that America is trying to change them into people and societies just like ours.  How they are being forced to work longer hours to compete with Americans who commit 80 hours a week to a thankless job, then come home to a household that barely knows them.  Yet this train is full speed ahead with no brakes in sight.  How can it be stopped?  I don't think it can, yet I pray that it will. 
With Brett - he's trying to keep his eyes open. lol


Giant Alligator
I suppose all of this is neither here nor there.  Just what came out of my fingers tonight as I type.  I'm probably too tired to make much sense. 

No comments:

Post a Comment